What is iCASE?
Our iCASE studentships are 4-year PhDs that include a collaboration with an industrial partner. Formerly known as “Collaborative Awards in Science and Engineering” or “CASE”, iCASE provides a first-rate, challenging PhD research training experience for top quality bioscience graduates.
Students will conduct PhD research within their University, with the DTP training programme available to them. The industrial partner will support the student throughout their PhD, including providing a supervised placement – minimum 3 months – in industry. This normally takes place on the employers’ premises. More information about iCASE studentships can be found on the BBSRC website.
As part of the DTP3 funding round from the Biology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC), the White Rose BBSRC DTP has been awarded 7 CASE studentships per year, to be allocated over the academic years 2020-21, 2021-22 and 2022-23.
iCASE 2023 projects
2023 CASE projects are listed below for reference, however these are no longer accepting applications.
- Elucidating conserved gene regulatory networks driving plant immunity
- Synthetic biology-based polymerase and promoter engineering for production of next-generation mRNA therapeutics
- Developing novel inhibitors of unconventional secretion based on Botulinum based therapeutics
- Understanding cell surface recognition by bacteriophages to engineer novel therapeutics targeting Enterococcus cecorum, an emerging poultry pathogen
- Mechanistic understanding and inhibitor design strategies for non-mevalonate pathway TPP-dependent enzymes
- Triple whammy – breeding wheat for increased winter growth rate
How to apply for iCASE projects
To apply for a project, please follow the instructions listed at the above project links on findaphd.com. There is no central admissions procedure, and you will apply to York, Leeds and Sheffield as individual institutions.
Note: There is no standard application deadline for i-CASE studentships. The recruitment process for each studentship is managed by the academic institution together with the industry partner. Please check the individual advertisements for further information, including any deadlines.