Deadline for applications: midnight, Monday 21st February 2022
The Academy of Medical Sciences is welcoming applications for policy internships to take place in 2022/23.
Our policy internship scheme is designed to give PhD students first-hand experience of the medical science policy environment, to gain insights into how research can impact on policy, and to build valuable networks with the UK’s most eminent medical scientists and key science and health stakeholders.
Successful applicants will join the Academy’s close-knit and influential policy team for 12 weeks (three months) to contribute to a wide range of our activities. They will receive one-to-one line management, a tailored workplan and will gain valuable transferable skills for careers both within and outside academic research.
Applications will be welcomed from Wednesday 19 January 2022 and must be received by midnight on Monday 21 February 2022. Interviews will be conducted in the week commencing 28 February 2022.
The scheme is open to all UK-based PhD students (based in a university or institute), including clinicians undertaking a PhD as part of their Clinical Research Training.
In order to be eligible, interns must have access to either:
- a three-month extension to their PhD maintenance stipend, or
- funding for a three-month placement integral to the programme.
To apply, candidates are asked to supply the following, which must be submitted in pdf format:
- An application form, including an endorsement and a supporting statement from their supervisor, and an endorsement by the Programme sponsor (the PhD Programme Director).
- A short covering letter briefly describing their reasons for application.
- A CV.
- A short article, of no more than 800 words in length, on a medical science policy topic.
Further details on the scheme and application are available on the Academy’s website and application forms can be found via this link. Please direct further questions to Dr Tom Livermore (email@example.com).