Duration: 12 weeks full time, or longer part-time
Location: Leeds, UK
Start date: Oct/Nov 2021
Company details | https://badrilla.com
Badrilla Ltd is a life science reagents company based in Leeds. We manufacture antibodies, chemistry kits and reference materials for biomedical research communities. These products are used by academics and pharmaceutical industry researchers world-wide.
The internship will offer a chemically minded PhD student a chance to define the development of new research product(s). Taking one area of our business (e.g. S-palmitoylation), the intern will perform market research to review the needs of the field, and develop a proposal for the development of products to meet those needs. This proposal will evaluate the intellectual property landscape of the candidate product to ensure freedom to operate and will define the manufacturing and characterisation plan to create the product. Ideally, you will build a product prototype.
- Review the scientific literature and market research to identify unmet needs of the target field
- Prioritise the opportunities from a commercial perspective
- Prioritise product development plans by primary market research
- Create a product specification
- Analyse the Intellectual Property landscape (freedom to operate) of the proposition
- Develop a manufacturing and characterisation plan for the product
- Manufacture a product prototype
Benefits to the student
The student will enhance their critical/analytical skills as applied to the development of commercial strategy; gain knowledge of Intellectual Property management; and lead an investment proposition within the company.
Benefits to the Company
The student will enhance our understanding of a field of growing importance in biomedicine, and extend the product offering to this field.
- Ph.D. student focussed on chemical biology, biochemistry or related with a particular interest in protein science
- Knowledge, experience and vision to identify future trends in research fields
- Interdisciplinary & inventive mindset
- Good analytical and presentation skills
- Good knowledge of chemistry and protein chemistry
Contact John Colyer, email@example.com
How to apply
Please send a covering letter and CV to John Colyer by 30th Sep, 2021. Interviews will be held during early October for a start ideally in October/November 2021. However, please also feel free to enquire if you are looking at a placement with a later potential start date.